The Dark Star build is an S tier build that works similarly to Light units from Set 2 (but instead of the heal and attack speed bonus your units gain damage boosts). Overall, if you make Shaco your priority and have some lucky rng the Dark Star build performs great. In this TFT Dark Star build guide you’ll learn how to properly itemize, position and build synergies in a Dark Star team comp.
OTHER POPULAR BUILDS
Dark Star Synergy Bonus
When a Dark Star unit dies it gives all other allied Dark Star Champions Attack Damage and Spell Power.
3 → +25 Attack Damage and Spell Power.
6 → +35 Attack Damage and Spell Power.
Best Dark Star Team Comp
- Shaco teleports and backstabs his target, critically striking for a percentage of his Basic Attack damage.
- At the start of combat, Karma tethers to her closest ally. Karma shields the tethered ally, or random if the ally is dead for 4 seconds. While the shield holds, the ally receives bonus attack speed.
- Wukong spins rapidly around, dealing magic damage to nearby units over 3 seconds. The first time Wukong hits each enemy, he knocks them into the air and stuns them.
- Mordekaiser gains a shield that absorbs damage. While the shield persists, Mordekaiser deals magic damage per second to all nearby enemies.
- Jarvan IV
- Jarvan calls down his standard to a nearby location, granting nearby allies Attack Speed for 6 seconds.
- Ekko shatters the timeline, freezing all units in time before attacking each enemy with bonus magic damage and applying on-hit effects.
- Passive: Jhin converts each 1% of bonus attack speed he has into .8 attack damage. Every fourth shot, Jhin deals bonus % attack damage.
- Lux fires a sphere of darkness that passes through enemies, dealing magic damage and stunning them.
Dark Star Team Build Guide
Dark Star builds in 10.7 mostly revolve around getting Shaco as quick as possible because he’s the main hyper-carry of Dark Star team comps. Though, Shaco is a 3 Gold unit which may require some luck in early game to acquire.
Preferably, run 3 Dark Star units in early game (Jarvan, Morde and Karma/Shaco/Lux). If you can’t get the 3rd Dark Star unit then go for Caitlyn + Ashe setup as this will provide enough damage to clear enemies at level 4-5 so that you can transition later without losing a lot of health in the process.
In an ideal scenario, on level 5 you should have 3 Dark Star + 2 Sniper.
During middle game (around level 6-7) you’ll want to do the transition into 6 Dark Star units– if you have them. This can be hard at times because it’s pure RNG whether you’ll roll the high tier units or not. In case you can’t acquire all six, then fill the team with things like Protector or Vanguard to obtain some defensive synergies which will minimize the loss of your health.
At this point in the game if you don’t have six Dark Star units you’re pretty much going to die soon. If you do have them, keep working on leveling up and upgrading units & the lvl 7, 8 and 9 units should be Protectors and Vanguards that will protect your main carries.
As we noted previously, Shaco is the main hyper carry in this team and therefore all the gearing should be focused onto him. If he’s already full build then place other items onto champions depending if you need more damage or defense.
Shaco — Spear of Shojin, Dragon’s Claw and The Bloodthirster.
Positioning of the Dark Star build is relatively easy and straightforward as units don’t require specific positions to carry properly. Jarvan, Wukong and Mordekaiser are the main front line in this team so they should be on front. All the rest should go in the back.