Vanguards are a very fun team comp as you only require four of them to achieve the full synergy bonus. This opens you up to some interesting build combinations because you’ve got 5 empty slots for other units (if you’re level 9). In this TFT Vanguard build guide we’ll be showing you the strongest version of a Vanguard build– it achieves Blademaster 3 and Valkyrie 2 for a lot of potential damage.
OTHER POPULAR BUILDS
Vanguard Synergy Bonus
Vanguards gain a lot of bonus armor.
2 → 60 Armor
4 → 250 Armor
Best Vanguard Team Comp
- Kayle Ascends, causing her attacks to launch waves that deal bonus magic damage until the end of combat.
- Miss Fortune
- Miss Fortune channels and fires waves of bullets in a cone for 2.25 seconds, dealing a percentage of enemies’ maximum health in magic damage over the duration.
- Shen creates a zone around himself for a few seconds, granting all narby allies 100% chance to dodge incoming basic attacks. While active, Shen gains Magic Resist.
- Yasuo blinks to the enemy with the most items and knocks them up, holding them airborne for 1 second and hitting them multiple times, dealing Basic Attack damage and applying on-hit effects.
- Wukong spins rapidly around, dealing magic damage to nearby units over 3 seconds. The first time Wukong hits each enemy, he knocks them into the air and stuns them.
- Jayce jumps into the air and slams his hammer, dealing magic damage to nearby enemies.
- Mordekaiser gains a shield that absorbs damage. While the shield persists, Mordekaiser deals magic damage per second to all nearby enemies.
- Leona creates a barrier, reducing all incoming damage by a flat amount.
Vanguard & Valkyrie Team Comp Guide
Vanguards shine during the early stages of a game because the units are 1,2 and 3 Gold. It’s very likely that by the time you’re level 4 you will find a Leona, Poppy, Jayce and Mordekaiser. This is an extremely strong setup because each of them will gain 250 Armor, making them pretty much immune to basic attacks early on.
Your search for backline units and transitions will require a strong economy with good items so make sure to plan ahead and save up on Gold.
The hunt for DPS units begins at this point in the game around levels 5-7. Your main goal is to find Shen and Caitlyn for the Chrono buffs which synergize well with this particular team. Shen is also incredible because his ultimate makes allied units dodge basic attacks. Most of your team at this point will be frontline units so they’ll mostly always end up in Shen’s ultimate AoE. Additionally, Ashe can also be used along with Caitlyn for additional damage as that will grant you the Sniper buff.
Now is the time to make the ultimate Vanguard team comp by adding Valkyries– Miss Fortune (or Kai’sa) and Kayle. Also swap the Caitlyn for Yasuo as you no longer need her because MF and Kayle are more than enough damage for this setup. Doing the swap will give Kayle the Blademaster buff, making her even stronger than before.
Kayle — Guardian Angel, Rabadon’s Deathcap and Guinsoo’s Rageblade.
Miss Fortune — Thief’s Gloves
Yasuo and Leona are Infiltrator bait for the sides. Additionally, positioning them like this will also counter Blitzcrank hooks. Miss Fortune and Kayle are the main hyper-carries so they are positioned in the middle with Wukong, Shen, Jayce and Mordekaiser on the frontline.